Saturday 11 May 2013

Moroccan Banquet cooking workshop in Byron Bay

A journey for Food lovers.....

Moroccan Banquet cooking workshop around Byron Bay Area



Few years ago I travelled to Morocco on a ferryboat from the heat drenched orange scented hills of south of Spain on the blue water of the Mediterranean. As I arrived going down the ferry my feet touched the land, some young boys jumped and chase me down the path asking in Dareeja (native language) “ anti magrhabia? Are you from Morocco, I stopped for a second and looked around, knowing that I came back home to the land of my ancestors.
Everywhere I looked seemed like my extended family coming to greet me, the smells, the colors, the shouting, the friendliness, smiling faces, streets laden with stalls filled with goods, and FOOD every where you turn your head FOOD, the never ending journey into the heart of what sustain us, memories of my mother sitting on the kitchen floor with baskets filled with Broad beans, rose petals, artichokes, pumpkins, almonds, oranges scattered around the kitchen with clove pinned down to the top part of the orange for good luck and sweet smell….she was making couscous from scratch every Friday morning , semolina oil/butter , water- rubbing her moisten hands with the semolina crafting gems and pearls of couscous into a large bowl which later would fit onto a tall stock pots filled with veggies and lamb…turmeric blended with cumin, coriander, cinnamon and a dash of chili powder for the spirits ,she was a  medicinal woman & a kitchen maverick .
In her honor I have been teaching for years the art of Moroccan cooking @opentable weaving stories and love for food with traditions from far away land.

We gathered 2 weeks ago @ Opentable kitchen for A Moroccan Banquet.
Some ladies from Brisbane, Mother and teen age daughter, some young foodies- to celebrate this rich cuisine which is gained its uniqueness through Arabic, Persian and Andalusia influences while the indigenous Berbers cuisine has always been a constant basis.
The smell of the aroma stimulated our hungry bellies, I could feel everyone so anxious to get in there and try the Date & lamb tagine cooked with preserved lemon, slow cooked vegetable tagine (the girls learned to utilize a clay tagine in the oven or the stove) colorful semi cooked salads which are prominent in the Moroccan cuisine, different marinade, Harissa, Chermoula and many more
And we also had time to prepare a dessert, Almond filo fingers served with Orange clove syrup served with Pomegranate.
As we sat for a banquet, I could hear the ladies/girls getting excited to try from the exotic banquet, plates moving up in the air, the clinks of the servers+ tongs, “pass me the plate” – I hear a lady telling to her friend, “ no no …I want some more”, we held hands for a moment to express gratitude for the abundance and our heritage, few minutes into eating a "noble Silence" which always makes me think how good is the food, and its not me or them, it’s the stories continuing over generations passing through our genetic imprint….bon appetite lovelies!! 




MENU

Carrot Salad

Green Capsicum Salad

Eggplant and red capsicum salad

Couscous

Lamb Tagine

Fish Tagine

Chermoula

Almond Fingers served w/ pomegranate
Orange clove syrup















1 comment: